- $120,000 in grants awarded to 18 Canadian women-owned businesses
- Since 2012, BMO Celebrating Women has honoured more than 200 women in communities across Canada and the United States
TORONTO, Nov. 19, 2021 /CNW/ - BMO Financial Group today announced the 2021 recipients of its grant program for women-owned businesses across Canada, in collaboration with Deloitte. As part of this year's program, BMO Celebrating Women has pledged $120,000 in grants awarded to 18 Canadian women-owned businesses for their contribution to social, environmental and/or economic sustainability outcomes through their organizations' policies, practices or products.
"Congratulations to these bold entrepreneurs who are driving change and advancing sustainability in their communities through their businesses," said Erminia (Ernie) Johannson, Group Head, North American Personal and Business Banking, BMO Financial Group. "Our commitment to removing barriers to women's financial progress is at the heart of our BMO Celebrating Women programs and a driving force behind our Purpose to Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. Through lending, investing, giving and engagement in our local communities, our goal is to create more opportunity for recovery and success."
"The enduring resilience demonstrated by this group of entrepreneurs is nothing short of amazing, and Deloitte is honoured to acknowledge their commitment to fostering positive change and adaptability in the face of uncertainty," said Linda Blair, Ontario Managing Partner and Chief Experience Officer, Deloitte Canada. "Despite the challenges, these women continue to prove just how essential they are to the Canadian business ecosystem and are a testament to what can be achieved by leading with purpose."
The 2021 BMO Celebrating Women Grant Program recipients are below, with further information about each included in the attached media packet:
- Brave Soles (Toronto, ON)
- Concept GeebeeInc. (Sherbrooke, QC)
- CORE Landscape Products (Courtenay, BC)
- Déclic RessourceenIntervention ÉducativePrécoceInc. (Montréal, QC)
- Épicerie LOCO (Montréal, QC)
- ImaginAble Solutions (Hamilton, ON)
- Kotmo (Montréal, QC)
- Massy Books (Vancouver, BC)
- Mme L'Ovary(Montréal, QC)
- Nada (Vancouver, BC)
- Permalution (Sherbrooke, QC)
- RainStick Shower (Kelowna, BC)
- Re4m Design and Fabrication (Ottawa, ON)
- Remix Snacks (Markham, ON)
- Sahajan (Toronto, ON)
- Sankara | Online Multicultural Marketplace (Saint John, NB)
- Sitti Social Enterprise Ltd. (Oakville, ON)
- Skwálwen Botanicals (Brackendale, BC)
The BMO Celebrating Women Program also launched in the United States this year, with an additional $80,000 in grants going to eight businesses there.
BMO is committed to supporting the advancement of women both within the bank and beyond, including through:
- Diversity goals for senior leader and executive roles through its Zero Barriers to Inclusion 2025 strategy, including maintaining its leadership in gender diversity with at least 40 per cent of senior leader roles filled by employees who identify as women.
- $1.2 million in funding to SheEO – a not-for-profit company which offers financial support to businesses led by women and non-binary people. BMO's financial commitment will allow SheEO to fund all 2021 venture applicant companies working to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- BMO Empower – a series of long-term commitments to advance inclusive economic recovery in the United States, pledging $5 billion over the next five years to address key barriers faced by minority businesses, communities and families.
To learn more about the grant recipients and access tools and educational resources for women entrepreneurs – including podcast series Bold(h)er – visit: bmoforwomen.com
Join the social conversation using #BMOforWomen.
About BMO for Women
BMO is committed to supporting initiatives that empower women within its workforce and the communities the bank serves. BMO has partnered with organizations such as the Women Presidents' Organization, GroYourBiz, Women Business Enterprises, and Women Get On Board to provide expertise, leadership, knowledge, and opportunities for women to network and learn. In 2021, BMO announced a $750 million Women in Business Bond solution with proceeds being allocated toward women-owned enterprises as defined in BMO's Sustainable Financing Framework, including micro, small and medium-sized businesses. Through the BMO-owned recognition program for women in North America – BMO Celebrating Women – BMO celebrates successful women who have given back to their communities or achieved success in business. Since 2012, BMO Celebrating Women has honoured more than 200 women in communities across Canada and the United States.
About BMO Financial Group
Serving customers for 200 years and counting, BMO is a highly diversified financial services provider - the 8th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $971 billion as of July 31, 2021, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
Deloitte provides audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax, and related services to public and private clients spanning multiple industries. Deloitte serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies through a globally connected network of member firms in more than 150 countries and territories bringing world-class capabilities, insights, and service to address clients' most complex business challenges. Deloitte LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is the Canadian member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited. Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee, and its network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited and its member firms.
Our global Purpose is making an impact that matters. At Deloitte Canada, that translates into building a better future by accelerating and expanding access to knowledge. We believe we can achieve this Purpose by living our shared values to lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for measurable impact.
SOURCE BMO Financial Group